Thursday 20 January 2011

About talking but NOT communicating. Successive senior moments!

Today, I found out for myself how two friends can talk and yet not communicate!


I got it into my head last night that I was meeting an old friend for lunch today (it was written down in my BusyCal diary). In fact, I sent her an email last night about today's lunch, asking her to choose the venue.


As I had not heard from her this morning, I called her at about 11:30am. She said lunch was next week, Friday 28th January because she had a 2:00pm appointment today. Then she went on to say that that we could have lunch today anyway.


We chatted some more and she said she would see if she could get a 1:00pm reservation at a sushi restaurant and get back to me.


I wondered to myself if this place was that hard to get into, but also thought that we might as well make the arrangements today.


She called me back and told me the reservation was for 1:00pm and asked if I knew how to get there; that sort of conversation.


After I hung up, I thought to myself "great, now I can do some stuff around the flat and see if another friend (who was leaving for Singapore) could bring some stuff back for me".


So I pottered around, delivered the foodstuff that was going to Singapore, bought some fruit from Happy Valley market and filled the car with petrol. When I returned to Parkview, I left my fruit in the car and went to the Park n Shop to get some groceries.


After that I collected my fruit from the car and arrived home. As I was putting away my purchases, my cellphone rang. It was my friend asking me whether I was lost; and, where was I?


"At home", I said.


"Oh, I am here at the restaurant waiting for you". It was my first inkling that I had got things absolutely wrong!


It turned out that I had been thinking about next Friday when she had been thinking about today.


Our mental paths briefly crossed at the point where it was established and agreed that the appointment was for next Friday, then I went to next week - and my friend into this week.


I also had another "brain fart" this morning when another friend asked (via SMS) about getting a lift to the restaurant tomorrow night. I called and left a voicemail and also sent an SMS saying it was fine with me; and at the same time asking if I could get a ride to tonight's dinner.


Only after that did I realise that the dinner I had in mind is next Friday night! Tonight, I am going to my sister's and brother-in-law's.


Obviously I confused my friend who replied to my SMS saying that she was going to a movie* tonight and had no idea of my dinner plans. (*A movie I had declined because I was going to my sister's for dinner!)


The saving grace is that I had realised my mixup before she SMS'd me; but then if I had not, her SMS would have rung some alarm bells!


As I was writing this I received an SMS about giving another friend a lift on Saturday. Taking no chances I asked which Saturday - although I had a fair idea of the date in question! Whew!


You may well ask about my iPhone calendar. Well, my computer guru, "Clever Clogs" turned off syncing my iCal stuff via iTunes (I cannot recall why). 


So now I have turned it back on. "CC" if you are reading this tell me what I need to do in case I am going to have clashing data! 


In the meantime,  I can see ALL my calendar information!


I wonder if there's an app  (Mac or iPhone) which can organise me so that I don't do this again? Send me your suggestions, please.

















No comments:

Post a Comment