Sunday 12 September 2010

Tales of Tiong Bahru - traffic and parking woes

Lest anyone think I made up my last posting, here are some pictures from my trusty old iPhone (and I never thought I'd use the camera much!):


Here I am behind the female version of "Michael Schumacher" who pulled right across into my lane at Seng Poh Road.



Here we are at the junction of Killiney and Eber Roads - she's gone to call the cops.


And this is why the accident almost occurred: illegal parking along double yellow lines approaching popular coffee shop on Seng Poh Road:

The above gives a better view of the double yellow lines and the parked vehicles on the left; this happens on a daily basis but no official action seems to have been taken.


Our very own Senior Minister (SM) has said we should take action instead of griping so I am sending this to the Traffic Police and the Land Transport Authority in the hope that they take remedial action on a regular basis and that road markings and signs reflect practical realities rather than wishful thinking and planning.


The days of "draw the lines and put up the signs and people will obey" have passed, especially as enforcement seems to be more relaxed and there are ever more road users, including new ones.


On the topic of lines and signs, Henderson Parking (which operates the multi-storey car park at TB market) should refresh the paint on the parking lots and put up permanent signage to define parking, loading and handicap parking areas.


There are a few lots with speckled red and yellow marks and I am not sure what they are for - on weekends (open season for motorists as there is fierce competition for parking) drivers park where they can and any ambiguity is regarded as a legal lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment